Refrigerator MaintenanceDecember 9, 2016
The number one thing you can do to keep your home safe when it comes to electrical issues is to conduct an inspection of your home's electrical components. Once a year, perhaps while doing you regular home cleaning, follow through this checklist below:
Electrical Cords: Check every electrical cord in a room for any damage and looseness. If it's damaged, replace or repair the cord. For loose plugins, it may be the outlet. Once plugged back in, if it still won't hold tightly you may need to repair the outlet or hire an electrician to do so.
Extension Cords: If you're using an extension cord, make sure that it is not running along an area where it may cause a trip hazard, such as a doorway. Also, it should not be placed under a carpet as it may become a fire hazard should something go wrong with it. If you have multiple extension cords being used, consider adding more outlets and / or circuits instead of using extension cords.
Outlets and Switches: As you do your home inspection, touch the outlets and switches to see if they feel warm. Warm outlets are a sign of issues, such as an overly large electrical load or loose wiring. Dimmer switches are an exception since they naturally may feel warm, but if they feel hot, they too should be investigated immediately. Contact an electrician to help you troubleshoot any issues. Also, when checking outlets, make sure they have one high-wattage appliance plugged into it and are not overloaded.
Kitchen and Bathroom: Make sure that there is no standing water near any outlets or cords and check any ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets.
Lamps and Light Fixtures: Check each light fixture and verify that it has the proper wattage light bulb installed. Do not go over a manufacturer's recommendation on wattage as this can cause an electrical safety hazard. Lamps should also be on a level surface and kept away from anything that they may burn.
If you encounter anything that needs your attention as you do your walk-through, remember to unplug and / or shut off the power to it via the circuit breaker before looking into it any further.